16 December 2009

Quick and Dirty Eggy "Salad"

Ughh, I haven't been cooking much this week, because I've got the creepin' crud and I feel far too nasty to be cooking anything. And I just feel too dirty to feed my creations to others in good confidence and with a clear conscience.

So, we'll do one of the easy ones...this is a crowd pleaser, ladies and gentleman...at least, it's a man pleaser. Um, well, it's a my-man pleaser. Yeah, my boyfriend, JP, really gets excited about egg salad, and I hope you will too!
Sorry Vegans, there's no egg salad for you.

From the Coop:
-->8 to 10 eggs - more or less depending on how much you want. I find 7 or 8 eggs is enough for at least three sandwiches. (Did I tell you? We're gonna put the egg salad on two slices of toast and call it a sandwich. Optional: add a slice of cheese. This is JP's preferred way.)
-->Mustard! (Just a squirt, any kind will do. Dijon, Grey Poupon, Even Old Skool French's)
-->MAYO! (I know it's horrible, but it's true. You need Mayonnaise. at least 2 tablespoons)
-->Spices, yo! (I'd recommend Paprika, Dill, and a little salt and pepper. You might add a pinch of chili powder for some hotness, too)
-->Don't forget the PICKLES!!! (Ok, you don't have to do this if it's too fancy or you don't like sweet pickles, but I really do so what I like to do is dice up a couple of sweet mini-pickles*, and a couple of sour, too. You want at least 1/4 cup of diced pickles...the smaller the pieces, the better!!) ...Green olives or other pickled veg would also be appropriate, and I know bland people who prefer chopped celery, which is kinda gross.
*I buy mini-pickles, I like them better. I don't know why.

In the Kitchen:
-->Hard-Boil your eggs! This isn't as easy as it sounds, dudes, so just follow these easy instructions. First, fill your pot with cool water and a healthy dose of SALT. Gently set the eggs into the pot, and put it on HIGH. Once the water comes to a rolling boil, set a timer for TWELVE MINUTES and allow eggs to boil. Remove from heat and replace water with cold water, allowing the eggs to cool for about ten minutes, which will make them MUCH easier to peel.
--> Next, is the fun part: Drop your eggs, mustard, mayo, pickles and spices all into a big bowl. I like to just mix mine in a big tupperware, so it's all ready to go into the fridge if we don't eat it all tonight. Then, taking a big spoon or potato masher, SMASH everything up until the eggs are broken into dice-sized chunks and the mayo and mustard and everything else is well-mixed into a nice yellow.
--> Viola. Now go make some toast to put it on.

2 comments:

  1. This recipe is a breath away from how I make deviled eggs: only I add finely minced garlic and a couple other neat stuff. It makes people hate me because for an inexplicable reason when hard boiled eggs are combined with the aforementioned ingredients in your blog, people eat until their jabbas expand.
    Mmm.
    Delicious expansion.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmm...it's true, egg salad is basically devilled eggs for people like me who are too lazy and stoned to go through the all the extra trouble involved in the devilling.....but damn are they delicious...

    ReplyDelete